Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Memory tip for 27th of April 2011


Yesterday I elaborated on how you can remember words while learning a foreign language. My memory tip for today is: use acronyms to remember better. What is an acronym? An acronym is a word which we form using the first letters of a word we want to remember. As you may understand by using acronym we want to remember a number of words that are encoded in an acronym. An acronym can be a word which may have a meaning of its own or it can be a mixture of letters and the word itself has no meaning. It would be good that you were able to easily pronounce the word that you have formed. 

Let me give you an example of an acronym, which I coined a few minutes ago. It is POWER and it stands for words: Peter Owes William Electric Radiator. I did not want to spend a lot of time on this, so whatever came to my mind I put down. If you need to remember some important information, which could be summarized in one short sentence, you could perfectly use an acronym to do that. Don’t be lazy, practice it by making some acronyms to help you remember dates, meetings, jobs you have to do, information you have to deliver to somebody and etc. 

Read my previous post: 

How to remember words while learning a foreign language