Thursday, April 7, 2011

Memory tip for 7th of April 2011


Yesterday I wrote about importance of rehearsing the information that you learn by heart in order to get it to long term memory. Today my tip for improving your memory is: teach somebody else the material you want to memorize. This is the method that a lot of students use to prepare for their exams. I do not know about you but I have practiced it many times while I was at school and university and saw tremendous results. Why does it work?

I believe that it works because you go through the information in your mind and while explaining you go through most important concepts and ideas, which helps not only your ‘student’ but also you to remember things better. My language teacher while teaching cases in Lithuanian language would say to her pupils every year that she actually learns the stuff herself after doing so much explanation to the kids. If you have not tried the method yet, it is high time to start. Find somebody who would be willing to listen to your teaching and do the job as good as you can. It will give you a tremendous boost to your ability to memorize things.

Read my previous posts:


Structure and organize information to learn it by heart